otherwise titled: diy chandelier makeover and from glitz to glam…
I have gotten email after email about our chandelier makeover in our kitchen tour.
It was pretty drastic.
What a difference, huh?! We love it! It was okay before, but we weren’t in love with it. We wanted something a little more updated, and slightly less formal. I’ll admit, the brass was in great condition, and kind of started to grow on me, but it just didn’t work with the vision for our kitchen.
We picked up new sconces on sale at Lowes and 1 can of Krylon’s Oil Rubbed Bronze spray paint (this one). So for less than $60 – we have nine sconces – we have a brand new looking chandelier that we love!!
I didn’t take any pictures of the process itself. But I think I can walk you through, simple enough.
- The first thing always want to do when dealing with anything electrical, is cut off the breaker!
- Then, we removed the light bulbs and sconces, which made it much lighter. (also, give it a wipe down to make sure there’s no dust)
- At the top (ceiling) there is a plate. Ours just twisted off, but yours may have a couple of screws. Take that off, while someone is supporting the chandelier.
- Then, you want to disconnect the wires – be sure that your wires are marked A/A B/B or something so that you’ll remember which wires to reconnect.
- And now, you should be able to carry it to wherever you want to spray it at… For us, we actually reattached it in our basement rafters so that I could spray it in the hanging position, and not have to pick it up to do the bottom… But, you could just take it outside and place it on an old box or sheet and paint it… you’ll just have to make sure the top is good and dry before you try to move it to paint the bottom. Make sure you paint the plate cover as well.
- Once it is completely dry (we left ours in the basement for several hours, but it will dry quick if it’s outside)
- Then reattach it the same way you took it down… have someone hold it while you reconnect the wires and screw in the plate cover… Then hang your new sconces and bulbs!
The whole taking down and putting back up part took about 10 minutes each. The longest part is waiting for it to dry. So easy! So totally doable for cheap!
Here’s a good look at the whole thing before and after…
And if you’re interested in other things I have spray painted, check out these: