Fall is here, or so it seems! Cooler temps, shorter days, rainy weather!
Last night was the perfect night for soup and garlic biscuits!
I must admit that it was only the second time I’d ever made chicken noodle soup. The first being when Elizabeth was very little and I pureed it for her when she had a cold at like 7 months old.
It was very easy though! I started in the morning. I took split bone-in chicken breasts and covered them with hot water in a large stock pot. I diced 1 onion, 4 stalks of celery (very fine), 5 cloves minced garlic, and put in about 2 cups of baby carrots. I added salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning blend. I brought it all to a boil on hi, then reduced the temp to medium for about 30 minutes ‘til the chicken was completely cooked (but not dried out – yuck). Then, I removed the chicken and let it cool completely.
I also cut off the stove and walked away for a few hours to get some work done, but you could skip right to what I did next.
After the chicken was cool, I pulled it off the bone (trust me, I very rarely do bone-in anything, because it grosses me out, but I know how healthy it is). I also grilled 2 links of Italian chicken sausage. While I was doing that, I added my gluten free noodles to the pot and cooked ‘til done. Then, I added a tad of heavy cream, grated cheddar cheese and added my pulled chicken and sausage to the pot and heated thoroughly. I added more salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste. Once plated, I topped with grated parmesan and served with hot, garlic/cheese biscuits!
It definitely hit the spot! Even Andrew agreed, and he typically thinks soup is purely a lunch only item! I hope you enjoy!
And like I said, this is a great, nutritious meal you can easily puree for baby! Maybe omit the sausage and go easy on the pepper. Would make a TON of great baby food!
|made from scratch chicken noodle soup||
- 2 split chicken breasts
- water (to cover breasts – probably 4-6 cups)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 4 stalks celery (chopped)
- 5 cloves garlic (minced)
- 2 cups baby carrots
- 2Tbs salt
- 2Tbs Pepper
- 2Tbs Italian Seasoning
- 2 links Italian chicken sausage
- 1 pound noodles
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup cheddar cheese (shredded)
- parmesan cheese (grated – optional)
- additional salt/pepper/garlic powder to taste
- In large stock pot, cover chicken breasts with water. Add onion, celery, garlic, carrots, seasonings. Bring to boil on hi, reduce heat to medium and good 30 minutes, or ’til chicken is cooked thoroughly.
- Remove chicken from pot. Add in noodles, cook ’til done. Meanwhile, grill or saute chicken sausage and remove chicken from bone when cooled.. When noodles are done, add cream, cheddar cheese, and meat to pot.
- Re-season as needed. Serve with grated parmesan and hot biscuits!
Cheesy Garlic Biscuits:
2 cups g’free bisquick
2/3 cup milk
1/2 cup shredded cheddar
2 Tbs butter (melted)
1/8 tsp garlic powder
preheat oven to 450, stir bisquick, milk and cheese ’til doughy. drop by spoon on baking pan. bake 8-10 minutes. While baking, mix butter & garlic together and top biscuits with mixture immediately after taking from oven!