freezer cooking {part 5}

Yep, it’s that time again! I’m getting ready to leave for Vegas next week, so of course I want everything at home taken care of while I’m gone! Andrew’s dad is still here, so he will be watching Elizabeth while Andrew’s at work. We’re so blessed he’s still able to come out for a few months every year, he’s such a huge help! Elizabeth just loves Grandpa Geepaw! And I love it because he knows her routine and is awesome with her!

If you’re new here: here is Part One, Part Two, Part Three, and Part Four! I never dreamed my first post would turn in to such a hit, but I am so thankful it has helped so many of you! The emails you guys send literally bring me to tears! My passion is definitely in empowering and helping other women, so thank YOU!

Without further ado: Part Five:

freezercooking2

This time I’m going to try to do things a little different in an effort to provide you with printable versions of these! And hopefully I will get the first 4 done the same way, so bear with me, while I work on some changes around here!

GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPES HERE

General Freezer Cooking Directions:

1) make a list of recipes 2) make an ingredient list and go shopping (don’t forget your freezer bags). 3) gather all of the ingredients 4) Chop all of the veggies first. Dice all of your onions, carrots, peppers, and mince your garlic. 5) Label your bags with the directions and 6) THEN add your veggies 7) Add your meat 8) Add your other ingredients. 9) Let out air, seal bag, mix around, and lay flat! 10) Freeze and Rejoice!

I have tried using glass or plastic freezer containers, but still find the freezer bags to work out the best. You can always wash and reuse them if you would like to keep your thumb print green!

Each freezer dinner recipe makes TWO bags which will each make 1 dinner plus leftovers for my family of 3!

You can find my see my faq responses here!

freezercooking1

fgoulash

fgoulash

Roast (recipe in part 3)

froast

GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPES HERE

freezercookinpart5

I hope you love these as much as I love helping other busy mom (and women in general) find simple solutions that allow them to spend more time with their families or doing other things they love!

GET THE PRINTABLE RECIPES HERE

Web Logos
newsletter facebook instagram twitter pinterest emailme Default

Comments

1. Thank you SOOOO much for these recipes!! I can’t wait to start prepping & have a stockpile of meals for when school goes back in a week (I’m a teacher with 2 little kids). Love your site!!

2. Elizabeth says:

Question – on most of the meals you have cook on low for X # of hours — I’m assuming that you thaw the 2 bags and then cook on low in a crock pot for the # of hours indicated? Is this correct?

3. I am getting a start on all these meals plus some of my favorites from your past posts, this weekend (before school starts). My oldest will be in kindergarten and my middle child in preschool, which results in me and my youngest being in the car most of the day dropping off and picking up his sisters from school. I am so glad I won’t have to worry about what to fix for dinner once we all get home! Thank you so much for these recipes!!!

4. On the Chicken Cacciatore, you include a cup of broth in each bag, plus another cup when putting it in the crockpot?

Thanks for these posts! It’s difficult to find crockpot recipes without cream soups or packets of soup mix. I can’t have any MSG, and it’s difficult to avoid.

5. Elizabeth says:

Oops, I didn’t understand that each recipe made 2 meals, I thought you were putting in two bags so as not to overload one bag. I wondered why you did two 2# roasts on the one recipe :-) Now I know LOL!

6. I live by freezer meals because I love knowing what is in my family’s food, it saves money, and time! My only struggle is finding freezer recipes my husband will eat. My 1 year old no problem the husband is the difficult one. Thankfully he will eat every one of these recipes except the taco soup which i one of my go to foods. I love the individual cups of spaghetti for the little one. Thank you for family friendly recipes.

7. I am so happy that I stumbled across your blog while surfing Pinterest. As a nurse, I work long hours, and finding solutions like these terrific freezer meals will help me feed my family healthy meals with just a little pre-planning. Thank you for being such a blessing to moms like me!

8. Thanks for the great recipes! Making these bags for my son in college…it will be so easy for him to have healthy meals at school!

9. Love these recipes! Thanks for all the great ideas! Do you typically thaw these overnight? Thanks.

10. Thanks so much for the recipes! They look wait and I am preparing many of them today! One question, I see in many of your recipes you use the foil cupcake liners, is there a reason for using these over the paper ones? I was thinking if I did some in paper I could microwave like the spaghetti cups for my 3 year old. Thanks again!

11. I’m a busy mom and volunteer for my local MOPS group and I love to cook, finding your recipes has helped me do what I love and still have time to cook for my family. Thanks again!

12. Do you mind adding how long you need to cook the banana nut muffins? Thanks!! Love your site!!

• I guess that would help :) I usually bake them 18-20 minutes, or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean!

13. I just wanted to tell you that this is amazing. I have downloaded and printed all of your recipes and trying this out today. I’ve been stalking your blog for a little while, and I’m ready to bring some time saving to my life. I personally feel that your recipes are also more versatile than Stephanie’s ecookbook. I have a fiance who hates chicken and eats like a toddler, so the red meat based items on your list and toddler meals will be great for his picky mouth. Thanks so much!

14. Thanks so much for posting all of your recipes! One of my girlfriends and I picked out 6 that we liked, I did the shopping earlier in the week and tomorrow we are spending the day together making lots of freezer crockpot meals! And the best part? I shopped the sales and it’s only costing us each $55 for about 14 meals! (plus leftovers!)

15. Your site is great, thank you for sharing! For the taco soup, do you drain (and rinse?) the beans first or add them with the liquid?

16. Lauren Herrera says:

Where did you find the little cups you freeze smoothies in with the lid and straw? That’s exactly what I have been looking for to use for my two year old o drink smoothies out of. Thanks for all this amazing, USEFUL information!!!!

17. Thanks for the recipes. I’ll have to give freezer cooking a try again. I tried once a few years ago, spent most of the day doing it, and decided I’d rather cook every evening than spend an entire day making 10 or so meals.

Does your 2 YO really only eat one of those cups per meal?? I have a 22 MO who would easily eat 3-4 of them per meal! I can’t wait to see how much he’s going to eat as a teenager.

18. Thanks so much for the recipes I stumbled over them while on pinterest! They have been great since I started working 10 hours a day at a private preschool the last thing I want to do is cook when I get home. They are quick and easy to put together and so very tasty!!My favorite so far has been the taco soup but I used boneless skinless chicken tenderloins. My husbands has been the Chicken Cacciatore. Thanks again for taking your time to make things easier for working women everywhere!

19. I just came across your blog – thank you so much! I love the little toddler ones too as my dd is in Kindy and would love little cups of stuff. I can easily make her lunches in advance with some of these. I printed out all your recipes from parts 1-5 and plan to order the cookbook in a moment! Thanks again.

20. Hi, Jaima! I found your site about two months ago and used it with a few other sites to create the most awesome menu plan ever!! Thank you.

I’ve had a lot of trouble with potatoes being black and tough – no matter what the cooking time – and with carrots being tough. Some research I’ve now done says you need to blanch veggies before freezing and one extension office guide said most home cooks shouldn’t bother freezing whole or chopped potatoes, as it isn’t cost effective and fresh potatoes are available year-round. I’m wondering if you’ve had these problems? It sure saved time and hassle to throw those in the freezer bags, but all of my potatoes have been inedible. I’ve never had this problem before, so I’m sure it’s the freezing causing it.

21. Jaima, it may sound silly, but it is true…my first week back as a school teacher, was sooo great. I was not tired, and we ate nutritious meals from the crock pot~ so easy, and so glad I found your site ! So thank you from the bottom of my heart….because now I have time and energy to devote to my family, instead of cooking and cleaning each night after work, or running out to eat junk and spending a lot of money. Why work if all you are going to do is eat out??? Right? Now, each time I go to the grocery store, I assemble one or two meals when I get home to keep it going. By the way, a girl at work was asking me about my lunch, she could not believe I made it in the crock pot. I sent her your site right away!

22. Great site! Thanks for sharing the recipes. I have a question about the Taco Soup. What size cans of crushed tomatoes do you use? Thanks!

23. Do you cook the bacon before putting it in the omelet cups or just put it in raw?

24. Question on the chicken cacciatore. I know the list of ingredients is split in half and frozen. The chicken broth is where I’m stuck. Are the bags frozen with 1 cup of chicken broth each and then another cup of chicken broth added when cooking? Or do you freeze veggies/meat only and then add the chicken broth when tossing in the Crock-pot? Thanks for your help!

25. So glad to have found your site. The recipes all look delicious and I am planning on putting some of these together this weekend. My biggest question is – I am trying to gauge how many servings are in the bags. You say one bag will make enough for dinner and lunch left-overs. My household is 4 adults (the youngest is a 17yo boy)Are the lunch left-overs full size servings or would I be better off basically doing both bags as 1 dinner?

26. Thank you for sharing these wonderful recipes. Since I’ve gone to work full time, cooking has been something I don’t enjoy as much. These are great and great tasting. My husband and teenage son have loved them.

27. Hi Jaima, just want to say I love all of your freezer meals!! I have a question about the chicken cacciatore…in the recipe it states 2 6oz cans tomato paste, isn’t tomato paste thick? In your picture it looks like tomato sauce or something a bit thinner. I am missing something? Thank you!!

28. How long are the bags good for once u put them in the freezer? I made the teriyaki Chicken a few months ago, made one and totally forgot about the other. Just trying to figure out if its still good :(

29. I, too, would like to know where you came across the matching cups/lids/straws for the toddler smoothies? I WANT some! Oh…and, I didn’t see any answer about the potatoes/carrots coming out not cooked all the way and inedible that someone brought up earlier in the comments.

30. Loveeee these recipes! I was wondering exactly how long can these bags stay in the freezer??

31. I know you’ve answered this question a few times, but I’m STILL confused about the chicken broth for the chicken cacciatore. On the recipe you say to add 2 cups of broth total, which is 16 oz. But on the bag you say add 14 oz broth which is more than the one cup the directions call for! So is it just 8oz of broth per bag at the time of cooking or is it 14 oz? Help! Thank you and I am so appreciative for these recipes!

32. 14 oz broth per bag would be 28 oz total for both bags and 12 oz more than two cups! You see why I am so confused? Haha.

33. Question – I realized you are splitting them into two bags to make 2 dinners but if I went ahead and thawed both the bags the same day can I throw them in the crock pot all together (both bags)? Do I have to increase cooking time or something? Or will I have to cook them separately? For example the chicken cacciatore.

34. I love these ideas for quick meals, especially for Sunday dinner and it be ready when we walk through the door after church. Its so satisfying to know you fixed a meal on your own and don’t have to fuss and prepare for hours in the kitchen just to get a meal going. This all can be done when one has some free time or just in the mood to prepare all these things in advance. It’s so much easier these days for me with all the kids grown and out of the house.

35. Yet again, THANK YOU SO MUCH! I’m working on stocking my freezer full of your yummy recipes right now! Now I just need a bigger freezer!! :)
    Also, I wanted to let you know I posted a link to your site on my blog. http://meandmysistersclosets.blogspot.com/2012/10/28-days-of-gf-freezer-meals.html

36. Great recipes. I decided to go back to college this year, so time is something I don’t have a lot of. With 2 teenage boys and a husband at home, I try to have foods that they can just throw in the crock pot or oven at their fingertips. I am hoping that this will encourage them to contine eating healthy.

37. The taco soup is delicious!! I shared with my sister and her family (picky eaters) and they LOVED it! That is definitely “a keeper”.

38. What cups do you use for the smoothies? They look great!

39. Your awesome! I have a question for you about the eggs that you made. How do you keep your reheated veggies in the eggs from becoming watery? Thanks :)

40. I am starting this this week! I have been trying to find a way to make dinner time easier and I think this is it. I love that you have toddler meals as well as Family dinner. My lil girl eats earlier than we do right now during the week so these will be perfect!

41. Thank you!! I get so bored with my same crock pot recipes and I’m so thankful to see your variety. Not to mention the ease of your printable recipes on Google Docs. THANK YOU!!!!

42. Hi! I love your recipes! I just made the mini egg omelets for my son. I’m just wondering when I’m ready to serve them do I just take straight out of the freezer and heat in the microwave? Or do I need to let it thaw in the fridge overnight?

43. nannylaurie says:

I came across your blog, and have been an avid follower ever sense. I am in the process of relocating from Massachusetts to Oregon to care for my daughter who is having spine surgery in less than a month. while i am there i plan on creating and stocking her freezer as well as my other daughter who recently became a wife. I love how each recipe is broken down, when i leave I will know that my girls (and their men) will be eating healthy meals for quite some time. thank you again

44. Jaima! Jaima! Jaima! Thank you SO SO SO much for sharing all of these recipes! I have a 21 month old who has recently decided he doesn’t like ANYTHING I cook for him, including his “favorites”. I know it is just a phase but it has been so frustrating to come up with fun and inventive ideas for him. I have printed parts 1-5 and made a cookbook with just your recipes in it! I think I am going to start with the Gorilla bread first thing tomorrow morning! I’ll tell everyone it is for my son, but We all will know it’s really for mama!!! Thank you again for sharing your genius ideas!!!

45. I am on making the chicken cacciatore today. My question is do I add a cup of chicken broth to each bag and freeze and and the second cup when it is time to go into the crock pot?

46. Hi!!! I have a really silly question but im going to ask anyway. When you put your meat and veggies in the freezer bags do you precook the meat? Thank you!
    Rachel:)

47. Michelle says:

Hi! Really would love the roast recipe that says recipe is posted in part 3, but I cannot find it there?! Could you post a link to it? Thanks :)

48. Fiona Grech says:

Can I use silicone muffin cups instead of the paper & foil liner? Thanks

49. Alisha Findlay says:

I might have to start doing this to make lunches and dinners on the go easier for my little monster.. He is getting tested for celiac disease and we will have to send him to daycare with his food already prepped if he has it… Thank you for sharing.. making a busy mom’s life a lot easier

50. These are great ideas for when I want to buy meat in bulk when it’s on sale but don’t have time to cook it all right away! Just putting it in the freezer all dressed up and ready to cook is much more inspiring than just thawing the meat on it’s own. Thank you so much for this!

51. For the mini spaghetti cups, do I have to prep the shells first? Or throw them in raw? I assume prepare the noodles first, but wasn’t 100% sure. Thanks!! BTW: these recipes are simple and awesome!!! Thanks for posting!!!

52. Hi! I have made the mini omelets twice. Both times I take them out of the oven looking perfect, and within 30 seconds they all collapse in the middle. Any suggestions? Thanks!

53. Does the enchilada recipe here make 2 9 x 9 pans or just one?

54. I am new to the freezing meals thing. Is there any reason that the spaghetti cups are only good for 2 weeks, but the goulash using the same ingredients is good for up to 1 month? Is there a way to extend the freezer time for things? I would love to make a bunch of toddler recipes but I dont want to end up wasting half of the frozen food if we didnt eat it fast enough (its juts me and my 2 year old).

55. I have a question about the cooking time. Most of your recipes call for 4 to 6 hours on low after thawing. I was wondering if you, or anyone else who has used these recipes, have ever tried putting them in frozen for 8 to 10 hours on low. The shorter cooking time doesn’t work with my 8-hour work day.